Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Consider it Zombo'd...

In a recent article on the Packers website, Coach McCarthy made it clear that until Brad Jones is 100% ready to return from his knee injury, un-drafted free agent rookie, Frank Zombo is the starting outside linebacker opposite Clay Matthews.

Being a huge Zombo fan, I couldn't be more stoked about this. I watched what he did in training camp and the pre-season and loved his ability to read the quarterback and make big plays. His style bears a striking resemblance to Matthews' which is probably why I am so excited about this guy.

In his one opportunity to start in the preseason, he recorded 9 tackles and a huge sack/forced fumble on Peyton Manning, which Robert Francois returned 35 yards. In week one, the guy only played four snaps but recorded a sack on the ever so elusive Michael Vick, a feat thats never been easy to accomplish for anyone. Then again on Monday night he took down Jay Cutler, recording his second sack of the season. He is now tied with Detroit's Ndomakung Suh for the most sacks among rookies.

I hope he sees more opportunities in the coming weeks and proves that he is an every-down linebacker. I have nothing against Jones and I hope he makes a full recovery, but he has just never been the big play-maker I'd like to see him be. Having two outside linebackers with the ability to rush the quarterback like Matthews would be so deadly.

I love these quotes from Matthews:

“I saw it in the preseason,” Matthews said. “We brought in three rookie free agents (at outside linebacker), and I told him that I really thought he had a good chance of making this team if he kept at it and continued to know his stuff. He worked hard, and that’s the biggest thing you want to see from guys who are trying to make this team is their progression as a player and how hard they are willing to work. That’s what he has continued to do. It’s a fantastic story.”
“He is young and he is only going to continue to get better,” Matthews said. “I know with myself, I was watching Detroit film from last year and I wasn’t very good. I had a few moves here and there, but I think overall as a pass rusher and outside linebacker, my overall knowledge, I feel like I am light years ahead of where I was last year."
“I think the same goes for him. Being a young guy and making his first start onMonday Night Football, I thought he played well. He really got after it and was physical, made some plays, and he looked good. So I think we are happy with where he is at.”

I think anyone in the league who works so hard even after they have made the team and is really dedicated to making not only themselves, but the team better, deserves some recognition; and thats exactly what Zombo is doing. Here's to you, Frank. 

(note: recently a buddy of mine and myself turned "Zombo" into a verb, meaning any act of being awesome, hence the title.)


No comments:

Post a Comment